On July 10, Damen launched its latest vessel New Frontiers, a new evolution in the Dutch shipbuilder’s yacht support range. For the first time, the 55-meter vessel debuts dedicated owner and guest accommodation plus a host of yachting enhancements that distinguish the YS 5009 from its predecessors.
The new build is scheduled for delivery in September and has been confirmed to appear at the Monaco Yacht Show from September 27-30.
New Frontiers offers a combination of adventure and superyacht support functions, explains Commercial Director, Rose Damen: “New Frontiers is ripping up the rule book. It’s still a yacht support vessel, but you can’t put this vessel into one category or another – and that reflects exactly the wishes of our clients. They want their holiday to be about freedom and spontaneity – New Frontiers makes that possible. Whether it’s a weekend dive adventure trip away from their superyacht or enjoying two locations at once linked by helicopter, it’s all about unforgettable experiences and freedom. We’re very excited to introduce New Frontiers in Monaco.”
In total, 11 Damen yacht support vessels have been delivered or are in build.
Damen Product Director, Mark Vermeulen, commented, “A yacht support vessel offers superyacht owners more luxury yachting fun than ever, but at a much lower total cost of ownership than acquiring more capability with a larger yacht. Plus, they get all the benefits of flexible operations, straightforward maintenance and privacy. That’s why we call it the Smart Stretch.”
While New Frontiers shares its semi-displacement Damen Sea Axe platform with previous yacht support vessels like Fast & Furious, Damen’s design team have raised the bar with a new layout and hundreds of enhanced yachting features.
New Frontiers key features
- Owner suite on main deck
- A total of three suites accommodating six guests
- Lounge and dining approx. 30 square meters
- Sun deck approx. 50 square meters
- Aft adventure center with large stores/dive and sports center
- Extra accommodation for four staff, pilots, security, guides
- Helipad and main deck area of approx. 190 square meters with standard fittings for modular tender cradles and containers (total deck area 240 square meters)
- Reduced draught for operations in shallow waters
- Low noise and vibrations in guest areas
- Updated installations for smooth marina operations
- Enhanced yachting AV and navigation systems
- Performance knuckle-boom deck crane with capacity of 12 metric tons (6 metric tons at 11.50-meter outreach)
- Technically ready for A-frame installation (to launch and retrieve submersibles)
- Length: 55.3 meters
- Beam: 9 meters
- Draught: 3.2 meters
- Gross tonnage: 496
- Speed: 20 knots
- Range: 5,000 nautical miles
- Helicopter: 3,700 kg maximum take-off weight