Smartgyro Announces New SG20
Gyroscopic stabilization specialist reveals its expanded three-model line-up to the U.S. market for the first time with the addition of the latest unit for 45ft to 55ft vessels
New at this year’s IBEX, Smartgyro announces the addition of the SG20 unit to further expand its unique range of advanced gyroscopic stabilizers.
Suitable for boats from 45 feet to 55 feet, the new SG20 offers all the design benefits and advanced roll reduction technology associated with the YANMAR-backed Smartgyro name. Encompassing vessels from 45 feet to 70 feet, the growing SG series now consists of the SG20, SG40 and SG80, with further units under development.
The stabilizers are engineered to have modular mechanical design, ensuring the range is unique to the market as the only gyro units that can be serviced, maintained and assembled directly inside the boat. Negating the need for the whole gyro to be shipped back to the factory, the structure of the units enables seamless installation and onboard maintenance. The sophisticated stabilization solution therefore minimizes time spent on maintenance and reduces vessel downtime, while creating new design opportunities for builders and increasing the potential for installation in vessels with small access spaces, Smartgyro said.
Sander Gesink, Smartgyro Marketing Director, said the SG20 will be available to the market from Q1 2022. "The expansion of the range increases the options for boat builders looking for sophisticated solutions offering flexible design opportunities and easy installation. The variety of vessels now covered by our new portfolio also ensures that more boaters will be able to experience the unique benefits of our gyro stabilizers so they can maximize their time on the water and enjoy a positive onboard experience."
Suitable for both newbuilds and refit installations, the SG20 features design innovations within the control electronics, braking system, liquid cooling system and vacuum enclosure to maximize roll reduction, performance and efficiency.
According to Smartgyro, key features of the Smartgyro SG20 include:
- Modular design: The mechanical design allows seamless installation and maintenance
- Efficient control electronics: Roll reduction is maximized under every sea condition using an efficient module, motion sensors and an Inertial Measuring Unit (IMU) to monitor and process real-time boat behavior data and the flywheel speed and position
- Pressurized, closed loop braking system: The braking system dynamically controls the gyro using hydraulic cylinders and proportional valve
- Liquid cooling: Heat generated by the motor and spinning bearings is dissipated, while also cooling the inverter and hydraulic manifold
- Efficient flywheel rotation: A sealed vacuum minimizes air drag to increase performance and reduce heat and power consumption. The built-in pressure pump automatically restores the vacuum after detecting a leakage or after performing maintenance on the sphere.
Envelope dimensions: 0.76 x 0.77 x 0.65 m [29.9 x 30.3 x 25.6 in]
Weight: 495 kg [1091 lbs]
Rated speed: 9.500 RPM
Angular momentum at rated speed: 5.900 Nms